So, you want to learn about my copywriter mentorship?
There's more to it than beating writer’s block.
I’ve been a copywriter for over ten years. I’ve managed copywriters and art directors.
During that time I’ve had two mentors that've helped shape my career (and life).
If it wasn’t for their active involvement, I would've <gone back to being a stunt kid>. Can you imagine that? A grown man, auditioning for stunt kid roles. I’d be like the guy who graduates high school but doesn’t graduate high school parties.
Copywriting is changing. Doing creative work is more challenging than ever before.
As a profession, the pressure to be creative and sell your work (without selling out) can mess with your sense of direction, money and emotions.
We started copywriting because we love ideas, words and making things. Not because we got a business degree, excel at negotiation and attained a monastic level of inner peace.
Whether you work at an agency, in-house at a brand or freelance, it’s good to have a plan. And someone (who isn’t your betrothed or your knuckle-headed friends) to nudge you along.
As a mentor, I impart my knowledge and experience in a personalized format. Career and creative advice that naturally extends to life advice.
Plus, I'm not your CD, so you can tell me to go fuck off.
And I’m not your therapist, either.
But. We will be getting real with each other.
If you want to catch little fish, you can stay in the shallow water. But if you want to catch the big fish, you've got to go deeper. -David Lynch
This is an opportunity for people who want more than the external awards our industry offers.
They want to make their inner creative life a place that’s full of shiny objects with lasting value: consistency, courage, contentment and curiosity.
At this point you might be wondering, ‘what’s in it for you, Zane?’ I'll let you in on a secret...
Teaching is the highest form of learning. For me to reach my next level, it's time for me to share what I know.
You got 1-4 years of copywriting experience
You’ve decided to make copywriting a core career skill
You can commit to weekly check-ins for the first month
So, what’s next?
Here are some of the resources that the mentorship is founded on. Other than my direct experience, these books and courses have shaped the way I write copy, think about marketing and live as a creative person.
I can’t emphasize this enough. Ongoing education is everything. Don’t stop!
<Hey Whipple Squeeze This>
- I read this in my first year of copywriting. It covers the basics.
- Current copy and analysis that will inspire you (and it’s free).
- The single best course I’ve taken on persuasive copywriting.
<American Marketing Association>
- If you want to add a new skill. I’ve taken two helpful digital/SEO courses with Will Francis.
<How Brands Grow>
- Great copywriters are good marketers. Read this book.
- Great copywriters are good marketers. Read this book, too.
<Never Split the Difference>
- Learn how to think about language like a negotiator (and get what you want).
- Learn how to develop more of the four Cs: contentment, courage, curiosity and consistency.
<Improv and Public Speaking>
- If you haven’t yet, invest time in one of these two areas. Or do both. I dare you.